I am Not Going to Rant

When I created this blog last January I was hoping people would read it. That probably sounds obvious, but I'm not sure all writers write to be read. Well - if I'm being honest - I do. So, to that end I did a little research and also spoke to an established, successful blogger. Both sources told me the same thing - don't use your blog to rant. Ranting turns readers off and leaves them looking as if they had just smelled a soiled diaper. Damn, clipped at the knees before I even started.

So, I resisted my natural instincts. Instead, I wrote about topics I thought people would understand and empathize with - parenthood, aging, coffee, the pace of change. Whatever ranting I could sneak in was hidden beneath a mild dose of sarcasm. But with each successive post my inner ranter yearned to break free, especially because today's world offers so much to rant about.

But maybe ranting is a young man's game? Perhaps they can get away with it because the sullen, moody look makes them appear complicated and appealing. The same expression on a man my age only makes us appear constipated and appalling. Big difference. Ladies, you know what I'm talking about.

But the underlying problem for me is that there is so much to rant about - and it feels so good! Still, I will follow the experts' advice and refrain. However, I think it's important to list what I won't be ranting about (but desperately want to).

1. Reality TV - I am not going to rant about how sick and tired I am of people with extremely low intelligence and talents (but very high on the "looks" scale) gaining fame and way too much money for nothing more than their visual appeal and hijinks. I understand the appeal of reality television that is based on competition (Idol, The Voice, The Amazing Race, etc.). Such programming by networks continues because legitimate talent is showcased and the benefit to cost ratio is very high. No actors have to be paid. But the Kardashian-like morons? My lips are sealed.

2. Political Campaigns - I am not going to rant about the upcoming Presidential election. You won't hear me gripe about how the candidates will insult my intelligence by using fear as a tool to garner my vote. Or the way the candidates will do their best to encapsulate their vision of America in a catchy three to five word soundbite that they hope will elicit an emotional response from the American public. And mum's the word when it comes to the idea that one man or woman can really be given all the credit or blame for the country's ills and successes. As President Bush (the elder) so profoundly uttered (or was it Dana Carvey?), "Not gonna do it."

3. College Tuition - I graduated from a public university in the late 80's with a modest student loan. I did not work one hour during the school year and received no scholarships (fill in your own blank here). Still, the monthly obligation after graduation was manageable by me and fair by the lender. But the obscene cost of college tuition for today's graduating high school seniors leaves me speechless, which is a good thing for someone who has promised not to rant. If I could find my tongue I would probably wonder aloud how the higher education system (and the state and national governments that fund it) thinks slapping skyrocketing tuition costs on our young people will be good for the economy in the long or short term. The answer is - IT ISN'T - but because of my vow, you didn't hear it from me.

4. America's Obsession with Being Number One - Fortunately, I am embarrassed into silence when I hear the chant, "USA, USA, USA . . ." If I weren't, I would audibly wonder why we have to always be first or best at everything we - as a country at least - do. And when we do slip in someone's ranking of say, oh I don't know - test scores of students across the nation as compared to Scandinavian countries - why does Washington collectively wring their hands with worry and immediately try to fix the "problem?" But, I'm glad not to be pointing out that Scandinavian countries (and all others that rank higher than us) have largely homogeneous societies, less cumbersome government bureaucracies, a scant percentage of our population and programs that strengthen families and national morale. Whew - glad I don't have to touch that one! At least our football teams can beat their football teams - unless we are talking about real football (soccer), in which case we don't have a prayer.

Whew! Glad to not get that off my chest.

 

Comments

  1. To go aloanything "our" quest to be number one, i "won't" eant about expectations that require 100% proficiency at anything... 100% proficiency really!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree 100% :) Unfortunately, the rule-makers are out of touch and only responding to an unrealistic "constituency". Oh well, right? Our is not to question why . . .

      Delete
  2. I am with you on all of those topics--#1 being my #1. I would also avoid ranting about how technology has reduced the amount of personal contact we have with each other. Sure, we're more connected 24 hours a day by our gadgets; however, we don't often have time to actually get together. I'd trade 100 texts for one smile or hug from a friend. If I were going to rant, I might take that topic on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it ironic that people are and aren't more connected simultaneously?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Things I'll Never Understand - Part 3

Me Fail English? That's Unpossible!

Simple Pleasures Technology Can't Touch