Drawing a Blank

Did you ever have one of those days
when your mind was a jumbled haze?

Trying to string two thoughts together
is like throwing a lighter-than-air feather.

Impossible, undoable - simply can't be done.
Hydrate? Caffeinate? Maybe go for a run?

Will that loosen the neurons, unstick these synapses?
Is a simple lack of coffee responsible for such lapses?

Perhaps it's all those paint fumes I've recently been huffing,
Or maybe the dry, dead burned skin that has been sloughing

Off my peeling red nose from being a softball ump,
taking abuse from beer-swilling men - Jesus, what a chump!

But wait, my calendar shows the month of August, right?
Now the air grows heavy and my own workload light.

Try as hard as I will, mental focus eludes me.
My brain's own way of saying, "Hey, don't include me."

"I want a break. Didn't you know thinking can be overrated.
Not everything you do has to be remunerated."

"Sleep late. Relax more. Soon you'll say goodbye to summer.
Then back to work. Back to schedules. Won't that be a bummer?"

Fine, I figured. Uncle. So my brain is mush for a few short weeks.
I'll get re-reacquainted with it then - well, sort of - so to speak.

For now I'll keep the wattage low, give the old melon a break.
Maybe pour a Whiskey Ginger and spend August half-awake.


(Truthfully, feeling contrite,
This week didn't know what to write).





Comments

  1. You have come up with a clever little foray on a topic that is all too familiar to me, haha.
    Turn the heat up and chill the rose'

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Things I'll Never Understand - Part 3

Me Fail English? That's Unpossible!

An Authentic Life